What should I do in the event of a work-related injury?

If you have a work-related injury or an occupational disease, we offer an all-inclusive response, both in our medical procedures and in financial and social benefits. 

Our teams are formed by healthcare professionals and the most innovative resources that guarantee efficient, professional care to the patient and more effective HR management in the company.

If the worker can come to our healthcare centre

  • To know where to go, the worker can call the Helpline 900 203 203, consult the list of centres in mutuauniversal.net or use the app for iOS and Android mobile devices

  • Practitioners of Universal Line him will give the first medical recommendations so much for its injury as for the displacement to the help centre

  • Enquiry our help centres' schedules in our Network of Centres.

  • Remember that the worker must bring his/her National ID Card (DNI) and the referral note, which must be completed by the company

  • If the worker finds it difficult to move or to communicate, it is recommended that they are accompanied by a colleague

If the worker requires urgent medical attention

  • If the worker requires urgent medical attention, it is necessary to take him/her to the closest healthcare centre, even if it is not a Mutua Universal centre

  • The company must get in touch with the usual contact person or with its help centre of Mutua Universal closer to inform where she has been moved the worker, so that our medical equipment can carry out the follow-up of the patient and, if necessary, the worker will contribute the medical information necessary to an effective treatment from the first moment.

If the worker has suffered a serious accident

  • It is necessary to call immediately to the Line Universal 900 203 203900 203 203

  • Our medical specialists will give suitable instructions to guarantee the best medical care from the very start, and they will organise, depending on the nature of the injury, to move the patient to the most appropriate medical centre and they will give medical advice

What does the company have to do?

  • The company must notify us of the work-related injury and give the injured person the referral note

  • The referral note is a document that requests medical care for the injured worker in our healthcare centres. The worker must submit it duly completed, with both the worker's and the company's details, as well as information about the accident

  • If the worker is not given medical leave and can return to work, s/he must be included in the "list of work-related injuries without medical leave”

  • If the worker is given medical leave, the company must fill in the work-related injury report

  • In the event of an accident that is serious, very serious, a death or an accident that has affected more than 4 workers, the company not only has to fill out the work-related injury report, but also has to notify the labour authority of the province where the accident happened about the accident. Accidents while travelling to or from work are exempt from this obligation. The labour authority of the province must be notified through the system via Delt@, telegram, fax or another similar method, within 24 hours