The importance of mental health for inability to work
Mental disorders are the second most common cause of temporary and permanent work leave, after musculoskeletal diseases. Among adults of working age, mental health problems result in the same number of sick leaves and social welfare costs as the rest of physical diseases all added together.
- We have our own team of psychologists and psychiatrists who can make appointments to see workers in any of our health care centres via a Telemedicine System, the Online Clinic.
- There are more than 1,200 psychologist appointments via the Online Clinic every year.
- We have a wide support network with external psychiatry and psychology centres and professionals.
Our activity in work-related accidents
- After the accident, we intervene right from the start to minimise the development of stress and anxiety disorders.
- We apply the most effective psychological treatments to deal with stress disorders, if required.
- We introduce specific protocols for risk situations that can develop into psychological disorders.
Virtual reality, a technological ally for the rehabilitation
The virtual reality is being turned in a valuable ally for the rehabilitation of patients that have suffered some post traumatic disorder after a work-related accident. The most usual cases for the application of this new technique are produced in the cases in which the worker shows a serious dread and great difficulties to resume the activity that it was carrying out at the time of the accident. As a result of the exhibition to the phobic stimulus, an immediate reply of anxiety is produced that it can cause an enormous malaise in the concerned individual and it can arrive even to the panic attack.
Mutua Universal presents this new virtual reality service applied to the occupational health. This innovative technology applied to the psychological evaluation and processing allows the processing of the disorders of stress post-traumatic caused by work-related accidents and that they can interfere at work everyday and quality of life of the workers. Between the most usual disorders appear, for example, the fear to be driven of a professional of the transportation after suffering a traffic accident or the fear to the heights of a professional of vertical works after a fall. This technology looks for to improve the effectiveness of the therapy, to speed up the period of rehabilitation and to reduce the work leave period, to achieve a standardisation of the activity and the quality of life of workers.
Our activity in non work-related accidents or diseases
90% of leave taken is for mild or temporary disorders (anxiety disorders, depression and adaptive to different life circumstances). The presence of factors not related to health (family, economic, social, …), which influence temporary disability and frequently cause work problems.
- Arrange a precise diagnosis, an assessment of work capacity and a forecast for returning to work as soon as possible.
- As part of the assessment, advise, transmit knowledge to patients so that they can mobilise their resources for their own recovery (empowerment).
- Working for health: to suffer a mental disorder and be in treatment does not incapacitate, in most cases, for undertaking a work activity.
- The return to the work activity is always part of the treatment in the approach to healing.
Continue reading about services and innovation:Rehabilitation teams
Do you want find out more about our services?